- About Us
- Outreach & Engagement
- Publications & Videos
- Sea Grant People
Leadership & Advisors
Rich Holdren, Interim Director
Rich Holdren, Oregon State University's associate vice president for research, is serving as interim director of Oregon Sea Grant while an OSU search committee seeks and considers candidates for a full-time (1.0 FTE) director.
Read more about the position opening and application requirements. The deadline for application is Sept. 15, 2013.
Joe Cone, Assistant Director and Communications Leader
Leader of the Sea Grant communications team, Joe Cone has been with Oregon Sea Grant since 1983. He has written and edited books, shot and edited photographs, films and videos, produced radio programs, designed graphics, and authored DVDs. His current emphasis is on researching and writing about aspects of effective science communication. Joe is an adjunct graduate faculty member in Marine Resource Management, Science and Math Education, and Public Policy at OSU.
David Hansen, Sea Grant Extension Program Leader
Dave Hansen has led the Sea Grant Extension program since 2010, succeeding Jay Rasmussen. He came to Oregon Sea Grant from the University of Delaware, where he was an associate professor of soil and environmental quality and Extension Program Leader for the Agriculture and Natural Resources program. Dr. Hansen received his Ph.D. from Iowa State University in Soil Science and Water Resources and has been involved with regional water quality issues on the east coast since 1999.
Shawn Rowe, Interim Education Program Leader
Shawn Rowe is serving as interim Education program leader and director of our Visitor Center at OSU's Hatfield Marine Science Center. As our Extension Marine Education Learning Specialist, Dr. Rowe has spent the past several years engaged in research on free-choice learning - the kind of learning people do outside the boundaries of classrooms and other formal education settings. Working under grants from the National Science Foundation, NOAA and others, Dr. Rowe uses the Visitor Center as a laboratory to study learning behavior. He holds a PhD from Washington University in St. Louis.
Melissa Metz, Fiscal Officer
Melissa Metz joined Oregon Sea Grant at the beginning of 2012 as our Fiscal Officer, with responsibility for leadership, oversight, and management of the program's fiscal operations, and our Webnibus online grants management system. Before coming to Sea Grant, she served as Chief Administrative Officer for the Oregon Consortium, Director of Learning Technologies at Illinois Valley Community College, Director of the Western Illinois Education Consortium at Black Hawk College, and as Transfer Center Grant Manager at Black Hawk College.
Sarah Kolesar, Research Program Specialist
Sarah Kolesar is the primary point of contact for researchers working under - or applying for - Sea Grant support, as well as for our graduate and undergraduate Sea Grant Scholars. She joined Sea Grant in 2009 and became our research program specialist the following year. A former associate program manager at the Office of Naval Research's Biological oceanography program, Sarah holds a PhD in estuarine ecology from the University of Maryland and spent two years as a visiting professor at St. Mary's College of Maryland.
Oregon Sea Grant's citizen Advisory Council helps ensure that research and outreach programs address the needs and priorities of Oregon's ocean and coastal communities, businesses, and policymakers.
Council members are drawn from a broad range of coastal interests: The private sector, community groups, local government, resource management agencies and others with a stake in Oregon's ocean and coasts. They serve without pay, and meet periodically to help set program priorities, review research proposals and advise the program's leadership. Members and former members of the Advisory Council also act as advocates for Sea Grant under a variety of circumstances.
Current council members are:
- Dr. Xanthippe Augerot, Corvallis, OR. Executive Director of Marys River Watershed Council.
- Kirk Beiningen, Milwaukie, OR. Retired, Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Anne Berblinger, Portland, OR. Retired, US Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration; small farm owner.
- Dr. Caren Braby, Newport, OR. Manager of the Marine Resources Program at Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Ellie Dumdi, Eugene, OR. Past Member, Lane County Board of Commissioners.
- Valerie Folkema, Bay City, OR. President of the Port of Garibaldi. Founding member of Tillamook Estuaries Partnership.
- Peter Huhtala, Astoria, OR. Executive Director of Columbia River Business Alliance.
- Nancy Leonard, Waldport, OR. Retired, Waldport City Manager; member, Oregon Land Conservation and Development Commission; past member, Oregon Water Resources Commission.
- Jay Rasmussen, Toledo, OR. Former Oregon Sea Grant Associate Director and Extension Program Leader.
- Allan Rumbaugh, Tigard, OR. Retired, General Manager, Oregon International Port of Coos Bay.
- William Schreiber, Bay City, OR. Owner, FV Captain Ryan; current member of ODFW Developmental Fisheries Board.
- Merritt Tuttle, Oceanside, OR. Retired, National Marine Fisheries Service.
- Dr. Craig Young, Charleston, OR. Professor of Biology, University of Oregon and Director of the Oregon Institute of Marine Biology.